Thursday, February 21, 2008

Please, Save Me the Expense of Therapy

So, I wake up this morning, and I'm feeling great. Despite the fact that I was up until about 1:00 a.m. working on this blog -- I'm a night owl -- I got great sleep, as I usually always do, thank goodness.

My morning routine usually consists of all the basics: lie in bed for a few minutes; stretch out my muscles (no, I'm not like Arnold Schwarzenegger); brush my teeth; kiss my wife; chit-chat about the upcoming day's schedule; make my son some breakfast; make myself coffee; say goodbye to my wife (she works, I'm a stay-at-home dad, although that's "work," too); turn on cartoons for my son after his 15th request; and then spend some time online, reading through news about the Royals.

And, while sipping my java and doing that last item, my mood took a turn for the worse today. According to the Kansas City Star's Jeffrey Flanagan, there are rumors floating around in "baseball circles" that the Royals are once again pondering a switch to the National League.

What?! Where in the heck did this come from? I thought this idea had gone to its grave in 1997, when Bud Selig offered Kansas City the chance to switch, and the Royals (thankfully) declined.

Here is where I stand on this issue: I hate the National League. Yes, I repeat, it's not just a mild dislike for me -- no, it's pure hatred. National League games are dull and boring to me. I do realize that my views on this might fall within the minority, but I don't care. This feeling of contempt for the N.L. has been inside me for years, and I don't see it changing -- ever.

In my entire life as a baseball fan, I've always been an American League guy. It's engrained in my mind that the A.L. is far surperior to the N.L. I love being able to rub it in to my brother, Matt, who is a die-hard Cardinals fan, that Kansas City went 10-8 against the Senior Circuit in 2007. That the American League is 16-3-1 against the National League in the All-Star Game since 1988.

Is there really any doubt which league is better? Certainly not in my mind. And I don't agree with the reasoning that the Royals should switch leagues, so that they'd have a better chance to have success outside of the A.L. Central Division.

Phooey! That's such a loser mentality. We suck, so let's cross our fingers that Major League Baseball will allow us to go play in the weaker National League. No way!

How am I supposed to lose my American League bias overnight? I can't change how I feel. I'd probably have to go see a therapist, or a deprogrammer, to help me adjust to seeing the Royals in the N.L. standings. Do you think I'd be able to send Kansas City's front office a bill for that?

Luckily, in Flanagan's account of this, the Royals' Mike Swanson, Dayton Moore, and Dean Taylor all seemed to dismiss the report as nonsense. I just hope they're not testing the waters to see what kind of reactions are out there among Royals' faithful.

But if that is the case, I hope they happen across this post and decide to keep the Royals in the good old American League. Otherwise, I'm going to need to find a good shrink.

3 comments:

ChasingMoney said...

I hate the National League. Yes, I repeat, it's not just a mild dislike for me -- no, it's pure hatred.

Exactly how I feel.

Michael A. Molde said...

Glad to know there are more people out there who feel the same way. There's a thread about this at Royal Nation's message board, and it seems like the majority of Royals fans think that this would be a good idea.

Personally, I think I'd puke if the Royals went to the pathetic N.L.

Thanks for the feedback, and come back often.

Mike

desertfan said...

The only good reason for the Royals to move to the NL is that, living in Phoenix, I'd get to see them play the D'backs each summer.

Fortunately, due to the interleague rotation, they're already coming to Phoenix this June!

 
Who links to me?